Monday 26 July 2010

Oxford Travel Diary: L'Edition Paris-II


I know, I know, it has been a week since Paris. It is high time I moved on to something else. However! Before abandoning the topic entirely, I felt compelled to offer one small piece of advice for anyone who may currently be planning a trip to this splendid city. (And for anyone who isn't, there is something for you too.. be patient!) There is a certain well-known structure in Paris, (hint: see photo, above), one might even call it the focal point of the Parisian night sky, but then, I wouldn't know. Everyone from Samantha Brown to your butcher will impress upon you the importance of making an evening visit to the iron edifice. Your friends will coo about the romance and grandeur of this national treasure, sparkling in the moonlight. They may be right. What these friends, Romans, countrymen, (I'm sorry, I can't even help it at this point, I've been averaging 1.5 Shakespeare performances a week...) will not deign to tell you is this: La Tour Eiffel? Has a bedtime. Of course, I found this out the hard way, by dragging poor Phil Meade, at two in the morning no less, across the city, past various Metro stops, over a series of bridges, through deserted parks and dimly lit, pebbled alleys. Because I had to see! The Eiffel Tower! At night! This was my only chance! Alas, gentle reader, it was not meant to be. When we arrived at its base, the tower was dark, almost too dark, almost darker than the dark, menacing sky that enveloped it. Phil and I stood there in disbelief, and the tower stood there mocking us. Realizing that the Eiffel tower had now become my Hollywood sign (Hi Mollie!), there wasn't much left for me to do. I spit the ground and shook my fist at the air! Well, anyway, that's what I wish I had done. All I can really claim are some weak protestations and maybe an indignant foot stamp. We hung our heads and crept away, defeated. So please. Please. If you travel all the way across the Atlantic, and then all the way across the English Channel? And you have one night to witness this spectacle? Try to make it there before they tuck it in and turn out the lights.

And now, for those of you who are not quite so inclined to splurge on a round trip ticket, I am including a recipe- perfect for a summer evening- that will, (if you don't cut any corners!), transport you immediately for a pittance.



Spinach and Mushroom Crepes:

First, you'll prepare the filling. I hope you have paid a recent visit to your farmer's market, because we are using fresh mushrooms, fresh spinach, and some shredded cheese, (I think gruyere sounds nice, don't you?)

Put a little butter and a little olive oil in a pan. Add mushrooms, (and a bit of chopped up garlic if you are so inclined), saute until they soften up. Then add spinach and cook just until it starts to wilt. Add some salt and pepper. Remove from heat.

Now you will make the crepes. Do not run, this is easy! And if I were you, I'd make a few extras to stuff later with Nutella. Mmmm.

1 C. Flour
1/2 C. Milk
1/2 C. Water
2 Eggs
2 Tbsp. Butter, melted (plus some extra, set aside)
Pinch of Salt

Whisk flour and eggs together in bowl. Slowly pour in milk and water while stirring. Keep stirring while you pour in the butter and salt. Now you have the batter! Next, ladle about 1/4 cup batter onto your (piping hot) greased griddle. Spread it around quickly so that you have a very thin layer. Leave for about half a minute, then flip. Now you are ready to stuff!

While the crepe is still in the pan, brush some melted butter across the top (use your pastry brush!), then layer on the shredded cheese, top with sauteed veggies, and fold it up.

Serve with a green salad and maybe a nice plum tart. And a little cinnamon ice cream.

And if you dine outside at your rusting metal cafe table? With a couple of flickering candles, a chilled bottle of something tasty, and perhaps a few lichen-covered clay pots full of lavender or red geraniums tucked into a corner? Why then I am sure you will feel just exactly like a pretty French girl with a new haircut and a pair of yellow Repetto ballet flats. Accordion player (highly) recommended.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment